If you’re living in the mid-Atlantic, then April is a dance between the cool, heaviness of Kapha season and the warm activity of Pitta season. We are still primarily in Kapha until the weather turns more consistently warm, which tends to happen in May for this region. Here are my tips for feeling your best this April:
1. Eat according to what nature is providing in abundance. Go to the farmer’s market and see what’s available each week. It’s the easiest way to know what’s best for the season. This time of year, there are lots of greens to help cleanse the liver before the heat comes. Choose a variety of green from light green sprouts to dark green kale. If you’re really adventurous try mixing in some dandelion leaves to your daily veggies, or make some dandelion leaf tea (just be sure the ones you choose haven’t been contaminated by pesticides.)
2. Wake up before 6 a.m. The Kapha time of day is between 6-10 during the a.m. and p.m. So waking up before Kapha time actually makes it easier to feel alert and ready for your day. And, if you can, treat yourself to watching the sunrise. Circadian Science has shown that getting early morning light, even if cloudy, can help you reset your internal clock so that it’s easier to go to sleep, stay asleep, and wake up with ease.
3. Get moving in the morning. Some of the best yoga asanas for this time of year are twists. Twisting is meant to squeeze the organs, but especially the liver, giving them a massage while you practice. Add bonus: the effects of a twisting practice tends to be very energizing which is especially helpful in balancing Kapha.
4. Consider intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting is taking a 10-12 hour break between dinner and breakfast, and only eating 2-3 meals a day with no snacking. Ayurveda has always told us that taking breaks from digestion leads to better digestion. Now, there are studies that have proven intermittent fasting leads to improved health and longevity.
5. Tend to your spirit. Spring is the time of renewal, or maybe even reinvention, so it’s a great time to begin something that will make your heart sing. If you’re not sure where to begin, start by getting quiet every day and asking, out loud or in your mind, “What will make my heart happy?” Then listen to what you feel, sense, or imagine. By doing so you’re starting to tap into your intuition. Intuition is in the same place in your mind as imagination, so it might feel like you’re making it up at first. But trust that whatever comes to mind first is the right answer.